Here's one flower, showing 3 stages in the patching process.
Sometimes, the batting was missing, so I basted small bits of batting into the open spaces before patching.
The reverse was almost too dark, but relative to the original red fabric on the far right of the photo, not too far off.
Most of the wear was towards the center of the quilt. I always imagine that's because the edges that hung down over the bed didn't suffer from being sat on. In choosing fabrics, I used some that were more strongly colored than what was left of the original fabrics, after checking to see that they were not brighter than fabrics in better condition on the edges of the quilt.
Here are in-progress and after photos of the portion of the quilt that had the most wear.
Once these decisions are made, it's just a process of sewing one hexagon after another. In the end, I patched 271 little hexagons.
Books on tape help a lot! So does downloading interesting radio shows. So do long phone conversations with friends.
Here's the completed quilt: