January 6, 2016

Denim and Flannel

This quilt was made about 10 years ago, and has a sweet story.  It's been much loved because it was made by a father for his daughter.  I always like to give kudos to a guy who makes quilts!  I love the subtlety of all the shades of denim blue.

The father passed away a couple of years ago.  This daughter's very thoughtful mother and sister had me fix it up as her birthday gift.
 
 

In some places, I could just close open seams.  In others, I had to patch on new fabric because the open seams had frayed too much to close.  I also replaced missing ties.

Happily, my very full sewing room contains a basket of denim scraps, the best bits salvaged from worn out jeans.  I keep them to patch the knees of my jeans, but this time they had a much more important job to do!

As if family memories didn't make this quilt cozy enough, it's backed in flannel.  And for me, it's especially nice, since this has always been my favorite tartan plaid.  


2 comments:

  1. This is my quilt...I just wanted to say thank you for the wonderful job that you did fixing it up. As I'm sure you could tell, I spent a lot of years not taking care of it. It was in my mom's attic and I never expected to see it again, since I don't have the skills to fix it. It was the most amazing moment to see it again when I opened my birthday present. I really don't have words to tell you how much your work meant to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Your story makes me smile. :-)

      Delete

AddThis