March 30, 2017

A 1930s Sampler Quilt

OK, folks, I totally love this quilt!

It's a super fun collection of well-loved blocks, other more uncommon blocks, and a couple of wonderful appliqué creations.  The fabrics are pure 1930s style.  One really fun detail that you can watch for in the photos is that the ties are placed according to the design on each individual block.  There were some previous repairs here and there, including a new binding.

I just couldn't help myself, and took a photo of each block.  You can click to enlarge them.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Grandmother's Fan --- Japanese Lantern  

unknown (Brackman #3514 Rising Star is closest) --- Corn and Beans

Flyfoot --- Spider Web

unknown (Brackman #2508 Sky Rocket is very close) --- Prairie Flower
The solid peach on the left hand block is a previous repair.

Wedding Ring --- Steeplechase

The Moon --- Zig Zag

Pansy --- Broken Squares

Basket --- Chimney Sweep

Sunshine and Shadow --- Fish Block

Puss in the Corner --- Anne Orr style rose

Cross Roads or Garden Maze --- Schoolhouse

Joseph's Coat --- Greek Cross

Sunbeam --- Maple Leaf

Butterfly --- Running Rooster
(That's my name for the rooster block, because it's just so fun.)

Wrench --- Rose Dream or Endless Chain
The solid peach in the Endless Chain block is a previous repair. 

unknown (Brackman #1293 Double Windmill or #1305 Turkey Giblets are close) --- Capital T

Tulip --- Tumbling Blocks

Double 9-Patch --- Wind Blown Square or Whirlpools

Tulip Quilt --- Queen of the May

Dove in the Window or Goose Tracks -- Prairie Queen

Pinwheel or Turnstile -- Hands All Around

Now here's the fun thing about this last block.  In amongst my stash of vintage fabric, I actually have that very exact fabric!  Such a rare treat!  But.....this block is in fine shape and I didn't get to use the perfect match.  All I can do is photograph it.

The back was kind of fun, too.  There were quite a few previous repairs, made with scraps of the original fabric.  They were small, some only 1/2" square, all meticulously placed to match the print exactly.  I think even when I'm pointing to a patch, you'll have trouble seeing it!

I also enjoyed some tiny, little darning that had been done.

I patched over the pieces that had significant tears, and stitched smaller tears shut with herringbone stitches.  When I take on a repair job, I always ask the owner whether they prefer conservation (stitching or sheer fabrics) or restoration (patching).  I explain the pros and cons of each, but after that, the decision totally depends on the owner's goal for their quilt.  This is a beloved family piece, so maintaining as much of the original was the most important factor.

These photos document for posterity the original appearance of the blocks I patched:




Working with all these fun blocks and fabrics was a real treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment