November 1, 2013

Coming Soon !!!

I am taking a big step forward.  I am publishing a book!


Preserving Our Quilt Legacy: Giving Antique Quilts the Special Care They Deserve


The book will be available soon, during November.

106 pages, with step-by-step diagrams and 16 color plates

The book includes information for both quilt owners and quilt collectors.

Topics covered include:
The philosophy of quilt repair
Supplies and techniques for Restoration and Conservation
Cleaning
Storage
Display


My background in anthropology and archeology has led me to understand how much history and meaning everyday items like quilts can hold.  And yet, quilts, like other fiber items, are relatively fragile.  Thoughtful care can help preserve them for the generations to come.  In this book, I describe my 30 years of learning and experience with antique quilt restoration and conservation.

Quilt owners are guided through the process of choosing the most appropriate ways of caring for their treasures.  I offer information useful both for collectors hoping to find professionals to care for their collections and for quilters and quilt owners who want instructions they can follow in the home.

The book centers on my three basic rules of quilt care:
"Preventative maintenance is the best medicine."
"Do as little as possible."
"Don't do anything that can't be undone."

I present both conservation and restoration techniques and supplies, and offer guidelines for proper storage, display, and cleaning.  The book is illustrated throughout with step-by-step diagrams and color plates.  Along the way, I share tales of some of the beautiful quilts that have passed through my studio for repair, cleaning, and conservation.



No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis