September 10, 2014

Embroidery Mistresspiece part 2


Here is a wonderful story from the owner of this wonderful, mistresspiece crazy quilt:

"When I was a teenager I mowed a lawn for a very nice elderly lady in St. Petersburg Florida. She had a very large Spanish home that had been built in the 1920’s and was beautifully maintained. In the summers she had me do various things around the house and always brought me inside to talk to me before I left to go home. At the age of 78 she was courted by a gentleman who had owned the first Ford dealership in Philadelphia and was very wealthy, he swept her off her feet and they were married and moved to his home in Palm Springs Florida. Before she left she told me she had something special for me and gave me the quilt.
Well a 17 year old boy doesn’t think a quilt is special, maybe if it had been a 17 year old girl, but I was nice and thanked her for everything, and took the quilt home and complained to my grandmother who told me I was foolish and said to me “I will put this away for a time when you put away your childish ways.”

I forgot about the quilt until my Grandmother died and at the reading of the will it was given back to me, 20 years later. I took it home and showed my wife who fell in love with it and it has been a special part of my home and a reminder of my grandmother’s wisdom ever since."

I don't know which I love more - the quilt or the story.

Detail photos of the embroidery and fabrics are in the previous post.  The following post has photos of some of the repair work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis