June 22, 2016

My Magical Magic Vine Quilt Is Done!!


So here's the story of a UFO (UnFinished Object) that on Sunday June 12, 2016, officially became a Finished Object......after about 8 decades!

I bought the 1930s top at an antique store in the 1980s.  It was quite a find!  The applique artistry is amazing, it came packaged with more of the same green fabric that was intended for the back, and green is my favorite color.  I decided to do a bang-up job of quilting to honor the wonderful work of the anonymous woman who started the quilt.  Since the 80s, it has been the quilt I take with me when I demonstrate hand quilting and talk about antique quits. 

So I've worked on it just a few hours at a time, just a few times a year.  In the meantime, I've raised two kids and done tons of other quilting and sewing.  A couple of years ago, I decided it was time to actually put some focused hours into it, quite honestly, so the poor thing wouldn't end up for sale again as a UFO....

I can't tell you the rush of emotion as I spread it out Sunday night, all bound and completed!  I am thrilled!  And I hope the lovely quilter is warmed and happy as well, 80-ish years after she stitched these wonderful flowers!





There's more info in previous posts:

"Magic Vine" - Dec 2012
This post tells the history of the pattern, of this particular quilt, and has photo details of all the flower appliques.  

"Magic Vine - Quilting Progress" - June 2015
This post is an update on the quilting progress as of a year ago. 


2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 22, 2016

    Just marvelous. You take the cake for stick to itiveness. (Made up word, but works here.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for loving this quilt, too. The quilting didn't feel especially stick to itive (!) because the appliqué is so lovely to explore close-up, and sitting with the quilt was always like a calm little break from everything else, sitting under a trellis in the garden.

      Delete

AddThis