December 22, 2020

More Snowflake Quilts for the Winter Solstice


Yes, I'm a day late for the Solstice, but better late than never, I figure.  Let's slow down for a while and appreciate the cycles of time and the amazing Earth we all share.  Wishing everyone health and kindness. 

And so, let's talk about the quilts.  I've showcased two Snowflake quilts here on my blog made from a Paragon kit.  And now, here come numbers 3 and 4!!!  

The first quilt I wrote about was a repair job.  The quilt was made in the late 1930s.  There are two posts.  One tells about the quilt and its history, which is noteworthy because the owner also has the diary of her great-grandmother who made the quilt.  She describes details of shopping for the kit and how the sewing progressed.  The other post details the repair work I did, which is noteworthy because the owner asked me to add an embroidered dedication to her great-grandmother and the cousin who received the quilt as a graduation gift in 1940.

The story of the second quilt was sent to me by a reader.  She inherited her quilt from her grandmother's house.  She doesn't know who exactly made the quilt, but it is likely someone in the family. 

Now come these two quilts!  This information was sent to me by a quilter/quilt historian friend.  She says:

My mother and her parents lived in LaGrange, Illinois from 1921-1971. My mom graduated from high school and left home to go to college in the fall of 1940.
My Grandmother began the quilt then, as the first item in my mom’s “dowery”.
It is the Paragon kit in blue. A friend of my grandmother’s also bought the kit, but didn’t finish it, and gave it to my grandmother who had finished hers, I guess in case she wanted to make a second one. She didn’t finish the second one, so I have that, too.
My grandmother was a Marshall Fields shopper, so I was interested to hear the story in the quilt diary, that that quilter saw the kit at Fields and at Carson’s. My grandmother could have purchased hers at either of those locations.
My mom is still alive and well, but when she moved from her house to a small independent living apartment, she gave me the quilt. She will be happy to know her treasured quilt is getting some attention :)

Here is my friend's grandmother's quilt.  The photo at the top of this post also shows her grandmother's quilt.

And here are photos of the quilt that was started by her grandmother's friend.  

...all of the white blocks are completed on the unfinished quilt, and the stitching is tiny, nicely done.  The design is printed on the blue blocks. All of the white pieces that make up the snowflakes are cut out. Paragon is visible in two of the margins.


Yes! Lovely stitches, indeed!  Gorgeous stitches!

 

 

My friend then went on to include some great info about the quilt pattern itself:

Ann, here are two different mentions of the snowflake quilt, one from Better Homes and Gardens 1993, and the other from Quilters Newsletter I think, February 1975. Neither one gives Paragon any credit for the pattern. 

Several years ago I saw a dark green version with white snowflakes on it, in an antique shop. Didn’t buy it, but certainly recognized the pattern! 

 

Isn't that interesting that Paragon isn't given credit for the design in either article!

My friend ends by saying:

Thought you would find yet another snowflake quilt story interesting. :)

Yes, thank you!  I do indeed find it interesting!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis