March 9, 2014

Pewter Buttons

I was at an estate sale this weekend, and found several dusty, dingy cardboard boxes filled with dusty, dingy old sewing supplies.  In amongst them, I found these unusual, to me anyway, buttons.  So of course, I brought them home.  

My brilliant husband identified them as pewter.  We found out that in the late 18th and early to mid 19th century, many, many buttons were made of cast pewter.  These, according to some Q&A pages and blogs, were made for the folks who do historic reenactments.  These are easily identifiable as reproductions and not originals, because the shank is cast on as one piece instead of being added after casting just the circle.  So, no Antiques Roadshow win for me this time!  I am still quite happy with the purchase and my new knowledge, don't get  me wrong.

These are Revolutionary War style, proudly displaying the initials of the new country.
 
These display a crown and the number 38.  They are British buttons, 38 being the regiment number.  And two sizes, presumably for both front closure and cuffs and collars on those famous red coats.



This close-up shows the intricacy of the casting.  Very cool.

And in the baggie was one lone button from the French soldiers!






No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis