January 7, 2015

The Arts: Visual Meets Verbal

A short while ago, I got a most wonderful email.

A woman wrote that she had seen and enjoyed my quilts at an exhibit a couple of months ago, and shortly thereafter, at her poetry group, had heard a newly written poem that matches one of my quilts.  She shared a photo of my quilt with the poet, who then asked me if she could update the first line of her poem to include the title of my quilt.  I said, "Of course!"

I asked for permission to share both the poem and the story here, and permission was kindly granted.

The Moon Rises Full
Date: 1993
Size: 19" x 33"
Materials: Japanese cotton, silk, net, organza. 
Techniques: machine appliquéd and quilted.


The poem, by Barb Njus:

~~~~~~~
The moon rises full tonight
Against the darkening blue
Like a promise
Whole again
Out of reach
~~~~~~~

Wow, isn't this the kind of response and connection that artists wish for?  Synchronicity is just the best!  Thanks so much, Barb and Robin!  I am deeply touched. 

The exhibit, in Elgin IL, was in conjunction with a showing of the movie The Red Tent and a 10-day series of healing events and celebrations surrounding the feminine aspects of Life.  Here's a quote from the flyer that really drew me in:

A call to all who envision a world built around cooperation rather than competition.
A world we want to leave for our children, & stretching far into the future.

Yep.  That's me.

For those of you in the Elgin area, here is contact info for more Red Tent events and community building.

By the way, the events were held at a most amazing place:

There's an organization called Artspace whose mission is to create places for artists to live and create and for community revitalization through arts experiences.  Elgin's Artspace is a renovation of a beautiful, old building, as most are.  It now includes exhibition spaces, studio spaces, and artists' apartments.  Such a brilliant idea!  It warms my heart to know that there is such goodness afoot in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis