August 6, 2014

Art Deco Addendum


I posted about a week ago about the quilt I repaired with an Art Deco pattern that I couldn't name.

Yesterday morning, over breakfast, I was leafing through the current catalog from Keepsake Quilting, and came across a kit for this quilt.
  CLEOPATRA S FAN QUILT KIT
Keepsake Quilting kit #6253

Well!  I found it, didn't I?!  The pattern is called Cleopatra's Fan.

In my post I'd said, "I haven't found it in the pattern compilation books."  Well, I am now going to eat those words.  It is in both Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns and Jinny Beyer's The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns.

The one in Brackman's book is shaped and proportioned differently (maybe that excuses me for not recognizing it?), credited to the Old Chelsea Station Needlework Co. a mail order pattern company founded in 1933.  The one in Beyer's book is just like these and is credited to the Cincinnati Enquirer , Oct 5 1934, under the name Laura Wheeler, a name that was used by the Old Chelsea Station patterns as well.  

So there it is!  Mystery solved!  I have loved everything about ancient Egypt since grade school, and in fact, that fascination is what led me to my degree in anthropology/archeology.  I didn't follow through on archeology as a career, but it certainly plays into my interest in quilt history and stories about quiltmakers.

Info on finding a pattern for this quilt is on a second addendum.

Methinks, I need to make a quilt in this pattern....  Egyptian Art Deco - sounds perfect for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis