August 10, 2011

Back to the Fen

In the home stretch now!

I've completed (I think....) the final detailing and embroidering on the bog quilt.  Here's the scoop:

I did, indeed, make another kayak, so that it is long enough to extend across the border.  This is the third and hopefully, hopefully final attempt at the kayak!  I managed to salvage the grey bits this time, and reattach them to the new kayak body.  But I did need to embroider the detailing on them again.  I also, added a black cord and attachments.

My philosophy on such re-dos is this.  They take some time, for sure, but the few hours they take are short compared to the whole lifetime of the quilt.  Having no regrets is "priceless".

I embroidered vein lines on the water lily leaves.

I made little French knot berries.  I had considered doing them with 1/8" ribbon, but it was too large.

I made cattails with a brown yarn adding the fuzzy texture of the heads.

I made arrowhead leaf plants.  These, too, I attempted with ribbon, but settled on using floss in the end.

Now it is ready to quilt!

1 comment:

  1. It definitely looks more kayaky now. I love it! -Mary Beth