June 7, 2012

Crazy Quilt at Home

A couple of months ago, I wrote about repairing a crazy quilt.  The owner kindly sent me a photo of the quilt as it is now hanging in his home.


Its companion, a log cabin, is also quite nice, with the juxtaposition of the clear, bright pastels and white.  They are two such different quilts, and yet make a pleasant pairing.  This is what makes quiltmaking such an appealing craft, I think - the wide, wide variety of styles and techniques and design potential.

Note that they are hung in a stairwell, probably not ever subjected to direct sun, and probably not even bright sunlight.  This will help preserve the colors and the strength of the fabrics.

The tiny bit of the quilt hung over the bannister is quite tantalizing, don't you think?


1 comment:

  1. I have a quilt my mother in law gave me that was made by her grandmother and then flowers were painted on the silk (?) quilt blocks.
    I seem to be the first person in the family who seemed interested in it. Sadly the fabric under the painted flowers is splitting and fraying. The paintings are also damaged and beginning to flake off.
    This quilt worn many blue ribbons in it's day. My mother in law wants very much for me to use and enjoy the quilt. But it breaks my heart to see it dissolving.
    Could you make any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

AddThis